Monday, March 24, 2008

How do you say "embarrassing" in French?

I love The Hills. Okay? I do. I am unabashedly a big fan, stemming from those early days of Laguna. And no, don't talk to me about Casey or... I don't know, I don't even know any of the names of the wannabes from the more recent seasons. If you're not talking to me about Ste-PHEN or Kristin or Lo, I'm not that interested. It's like the "New Class" of Saved By the Bell way back when. I didn't even like the girl who wore the boldly 1990's boxy leather jacket with the zippers. Alex, maybe? And if I didn't even like a cast member who was around early enough to be so lucky as to share the small screen with Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Mario Lopez, why would I be interested in the little jerks that Screech regrettably returned to teach?

I seriously digress. Laguna. Anyway, they had a good thing with LC, and I'm glad that they held out for her and the resulting Hills. LC gets a lot of flack for being supposedly uninteresting and opportunistic, but there's something a bit charismatic about her that gets me. Partly, it's the fact that I've enjoyed watching her progress from her days of C&C tanks to interlocking C's.

Admittedly, however, there have been the moments that hurt. Standing out most dramatically was her lacking enthusiasm and disrespect upon meeting Marc Jacobs last season. I mean, she didn't even stand up to shake his hand. There was speculation that perhaps she had actually already been acquainted with the famed American designer (to borrow a line from Heidi... Klum, not Montag), hence the lackluster introduction, but really? Meeting MJ on one's own reality show, when said show was largely based on one's desire to make it in fashion, and paying no respect? Really? Anyway, since I never got to put down my thoughts on that moment in Hillstory, I've digressed a bit more. Because really, this is about the worst part of tonight's premiere of The Hills:

Whitney's absolute butchering of the pronunciation of Givenchy. I wish I had a YouTube clip, and I'm sure this will get some press on other blogs, but this was a serious, serious "Really?!" moment for me. And it's times like these when I understand all the cynicism about these girls' positions in fashion, and all the opportunities that they are handed. I mean, Whitney's whole angle during the premiere was about how she "sees herself in styling" and dealing more with the fashion end than the logistics of magazine publishing. Come on, now. Would you like someone to make you some flashcards, Whit? Jhee-von-shee, more or less. You can do it.

So get it together. Brush up on your grown-up Vogue. Do SOMETHING. Because let's be honest: I want to forgive you, and I want to forget... that you ever said that.

No comments: